Recent Reviews...

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Book Review: The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson





Genre: Young Adult (Historical Fiction/Romance/Fractured Fairy Tale)

Annabel's family became accustomed to the easy life and refused to pull their weight around the community after the death of Annabel's wealthy father three years ago. As punishment for her family's laziness, she is forced into indentured servitude for their new lord. Her situation gets worse when the bailiff wishes to have her as his wife. His threats and advances increase after her refusal to marry him. Lord Ranulf is scarred, scary, and takes an immediate dislike to Annabel. Her lifelong dream has been to escape her family and now the bailiff and join a convent. Much to her surprise she soon finds that she feels safer around Lord Ranulf than she ever has before, but the danger is only just beginning.

The Merchant's Daughter is a dark and lovely portrayal of a fairy tale we all know and love. Beauty and the Beast has always been a favorite of mine. I didn't realize this book was a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast when I first started reading, so I was pleasantly surprised when I started taking note of the similarities. Melanie Dickerson knows how to spin a tale that brings her characters to life and will literally have you falling in love right along with them. This was a book that would not let me put it down. The characters are complex and the growth of the relationships are realistic. Just like in real life, the main characters each carry their own baggage they must overcome. Your love of the heroic beast will grow more and more as you get to know him through the book, and when it's all said and done, you'll be head over heals in love with him. This is the first book I've read by Melanie Dickerson, and it certainly won't be the last.


This ARC was provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley for review. The opinions are my own.
Have you read the first book in this series?


Check out my review of another book by this author!

4 comments :

  1. Yup! this sounds really good, now I have to see if there's any plans for an audiobook, I'm not sure how ARCs work, do you get them before they are published? I'll take a look in the author's website. I might just have to read it.
    You talked me into it with your excitement and the nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I'm glad to hear it!! I just sent you an email about ARCs. I hope it helps. Let me know if you have more questions. :o) I haven't seen that there is an audiobook available yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't or won't be. Hopefully, there will be. This book is well worth the read! :o) Thank you for stopping by! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! This sounds like a terrific read. I love fairy tales with a spin. Thank you for the great review. It is confirmed, gotta read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that both Annabel and Lord Ranulf carry baggage that they must overcome, but I didn't care for either of them much or the story for that matter. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank your for stopping by. Please comment! I'd love to hear from you!