Recent Reviews...

Friday, July 22, 2011

Meet the author: D. Apodaca




D. Apodaca (now known as E.M. Jade) is the author of Captivated, An Affliction Novel. It's a story of love, secrets, and vampires. I'm not talking about the innocent vampires next door that are so popular these days either. After reading 'Captivated', I was eager to learn more about what this new, talented author had in store for us, and she kindly agreed to an interview.

How long have you been writing?
Three LONG years! Well, it took me two years to write 'Captivated' and another year of revisions.

What inspired you to write your first book?
I read a series and thought the ending was crap, so I decided to write my own story that I would be happy with. Plus, I don't like the vampires that are out there today...I want them to burn in the sun like the good ol' days.

When you first started writing Captivated, did you plan for it to be a series?
Yes, I had a scene pop in my mind (the ending) and from that, I knew there had to be more.

What can you tell us about the sequel?

It's going to be fun! And emotional. Poor Dean has his struggles and he has his friends to help him through it. (I'm trying not to give too much away...lol)

Which of your characters do you relate to most and why?

Well, I relate most to a new character that comes in the second book. She says everything I want to say out loud. Like when someone is standing so close to you in line that you can feel them breathing on your neck...this character says what we all want to say out loud, but never do. She's fun and daring. I'd give you her name, but nothing I've come up with seems to suit her right now.

What is a secret about Dean that nobody else knows?
He's actually a fun guy....when he's happy. He can joke around, smile, and can be a softy sometimes.

If your real life as a teenager was a Young Adult book, what would you, the main character, be like?
That's a tough one. Ummm... I don't know, I think I would still be me. Sarcastic, talkative, scared to go near drugs. I would have gone out more, that's for sure. The only time I went out was to go to my friend’s house to work out. My answer isn't all that great, but it's all I could come up with. Sorry!

What book have you read too many times to count?
None, I have so many books on my 'to be read' pile. With kids, a husband, crafts, and writing...I don't even have time to read as much as I'd like. But if I could, I would read Hush Hush or The Nighthuntress Novels by Jeanine Frost.

What is the best piece of writing advice you ever received?
To believe that your characters are real and they will become real to everyone else. They're so real to me, that I see them playing out the story in my head. I just can't type fast enough! I thought there would only be three books, but they won't let the story end. Now I have five playing in my mind. I can't wait!

I can't wait either! Thank you for taking time out of your crazy schedule to answer some questions.


If you haven't read her amazing book yet, check out my review of Captivated, An Affliction Novel.
You can learn more about D. Apodaca (now known as E.M. Jade) and where to purchase her books from her website.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank your for stopping by. Please comment! I'd love to hear from you!