Recent Reviews...

Monday, September 19, 2011

Book Review: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto




 
Genre: Young Adult (Paranormal Romance)

Halo is written by Australian author, Alexandra Adornetto. Halo is the first in what is planned to be a trilogy. Three angels are sent to Earth to bring good back into the world. By avoiding human attachments, they struggle to keep their true identities and abilities a secret. When Bethany, the youngest of the angels, meets Xavier, they are instantly attracted to each other. A dangerous newcomer moves to town and the angels' mission is put in jeopardy.

I was very excited about reading this book, and I really wanted to love it. This book had many things going for it: a gorgeous cover, an intriguing plot line, and angels. I always enjoy reading books that involve angels. However, once I moved past the cover, my excitement over the book started declining. The plot moved along very slowly, and the relationship was instantaneous and superficial. The book is overly detailed, yet the information given about the angels' actual mission is vague. The main thing that bothered me was how the angels were portrayed. I didn't find the angels to be believable in any way. When I think of angels, I picture strong, intelligent, and adaptable beings. They are supposed to be God's warriors after all. The angels depicted in Halo were quite the opposite. Especially Bethany, who is also the main character. In Bethany's defense, she is the youngest of the angels, but that still doesn't excuse it. She was like a lost child put on Earth with no instincts or common sense. If our World depended on angels like these, we'd be doomed. In short, this book was simply not for me.

With all that being said, I give many kudos to the young author for going for it and getting her book published. It's not an easy feat, and I would imagine it would only be that much harder for a seventeen year old. The ending of Halo left some hope for a better second book. I hope that will be the case, but I was so disappointed by this book that I am still on the fence as to if I want to read the next one or not.

To read more about this series and the author, visit Alexandra Adornetto's website.

You can also view this review on Examiner

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for this review. I tried to make myself finish for over a month but gave up. I hate giving up on a book but it just happens sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank your for stopping by. Please comment! I'd love to hear from you!